Human Resource Management can be the difference between a good company and a great company. Often, smaller businesses are unable to afford an entire HR division, which makes the role of the HR Manager even more important. If you are interested in a career in HR or are already in the position, here are 10 tips that can help you become the best HR Manager your company has ever had.
1. Organisation is King Staying organised is essential. Lost items or files can come back to bite you, so keeping vital information readily available and in order will help you sort through issues quickly, instead of creating a backlog.
2. Get Clarity any issues that you may deal with can sit in a grey area, and you may need to make the assertive decision in the end. For this reason, hone negotiation techniques to ensure that you can make a best attempt to ensure both parties in a dispute are happy – where applicable and possible.
3. Be Ethical Ethics in this position is extremely important. Many issues require you to be discrete and tactful, which in turn will build trust. Employees need to feel safe, protected and fairly treated by you.
4. Schedule It is almost certain that there will be times when your pipeline is brimming with tasks. Make sure you order everything in order of importance and efficiently work through each – one at a time.
5. Constant Communication Regular feedback and communication will ensure you have the time needed to handle all tasks, without rising tensions or problems spiraling out of control.
6. Be Passionate Over time, you may see repeat problems with new employees entering the business and it can suck the joy out of the job. However, for each person, the problem remains just as important, so it is essential that you keep your passion for helping people and the business.
7. Maintain Focus When a company is expanding, it is easy to put a lot of focus on new staff, but your retention of strong employees is just as important. Make sure that no matter how rapidly the company is growing, you continue to see the bigger picture.
8. Mingle Although you will have authority in a business, it is important to deal with situations in various manners. Calling an employee to your office for a discrete chat is important, but you can also assist in creating a better environment by showing support and showing up at workstations for positive discussions.
9. Instigate Development You should always be on the lookout for opportunities to provide guidance on the personal and professional development of employees across all departments. This will benefit the business and the employees as you all chase success.
10. Embrace Tech Technology has been a game-changer for many businesses. Take interest in implementing systems that make things more efficient. This will increase productivity while easing stress at the same time. HR can be a tough task, but by understanding your vision and showing genuine interest in each employee, you will create the foundation of success for everyone involved.