We are privileged in that we live a country that offers us plenty of wonderful opportunities and is alive with possibility. If you maintain a positive mind and attitude the sooner you will be able to spot these windows of opportunity, use them to you advantage to succeed and make yourself and loved ones proud. One such opportunity is that of distance learning, it is an option that many often overlook but can certainly bridge the gap between making your dreams and goals come alive or whether they remain intangible.
The distance learning or part time study option are great routes to consider. You could study a short course or a qualification that you can use to apply for credits for entrance to another course at a later stage. You could even enrol to study a Higher Certificate, a Diploma or a Degree. As we all know, nothing ever comes easy, and when it comes to education; a lot of support, hard work, sacrifice, perseverance and dedication are required.
Distance Learning gives you the following possibilities:
- You will be in a position to create your own time table, which in itself teaches you time management.
- You will manage and balance your life the way that you desire, so if you wish you can take on a hobby that you have always wanted to partake in or even volunteer some of your time to charity. With the advanced study options offered by many institutions now days; studying from anywhere is now a possibility, because all you need is internet connection – more flexibility is a definite plus.
- You could, as some students have done, start a business whilst you study, look after your family or have more of a presence your home life.
- Seeing as though you will most likely be staying at home, you save money on accommodation, food and transport – when in need of some quiet time you could consider joining a local library. If the library doesn’t come with free Wi-Fi, all you will need do is acquire more data for internet connection for research and to assist you in your studies, but it still works out much cheaper in most instances.
- If you’re not employed full time or an aspiring entrepreneur, you have the freedom to apply for full or part time employment to make some extra ka-ching and help see you through your studies – an additional bonus here is that the work experience will boost your CV, but be careful not to over exert yourself.
- Distance Learning will in addition allow you a wonderful opportunity to apply to internship programmes within your field study – this gives you work experience which will certainly set you apart from other students and job applicants who are fresh out of tertiary with no experience, this will give you the edge. If you are really good at what you do, you may be guaranteed a fulltime job once you complete your studies or you may be offered a bursary by your employer to further your studies, either way you win.
Just remember one thing – you will need to be disciplined, but you can Go the Distance.