Municipalities are the coalface of government service delivery and at the grassroots of community development. Gain the knowledge and skills to manage and improve the capacity of municipalities and positively impact communities. Be equipped with holistic, integrated and specific perspectives of the local governance contexts, challenges and functional domains.
Over 30,000 students have successfully completed courses with iQA.
Price and Payment Options
The fees include all course content – there are no hidden costs
Additional fees that may be charged is remarking fees and repeat registration fees
- 6, 12 or 18 months
- Monthly fees payable via convenient debit order
- A deposit may be required subject to affordability
- Via a secure payment portal – click here
- Direct deposit of EFT
- For Standard Bank customers, we are an authorised beneficiary. This is applicable when the student uses any of these Standard Bank channels: Mobile App, Internet Banking, Business Online and Autoplus machines. Reference to be used is ID number.
- Grade 12 (Standard 10) or NQF 4 equivalent
- At least 18 years of age
- Proficient in English
- Alternate admission is possible on basis of mature age exemption (23 years and older)
What you need to enrol:
South African citizens:
- Certified copy of Grade 12 certificate or equivalent (NSC, NC, NCV – Level 4)
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of highest school qualification
Non-South African citizens:
- Certified copy of passport
- Certified copy of study permit
- Certified copy of SAQA evaluation
- Access to a reliable internet connection
- Email account
- Smartphone or PC
- At least 1Gb of data per month
PS. You can download study material, save it on a device and go back to it when you have time
Modules in this course
- Module 1: Municipal Structures and Systems
- Module 2: Municipal Operational Excellence
- Module 3: Municipal Policymaking and Planning Excellence
- Module 4: Municipal Service Excellence
Next Intake Dates
|Sep 2020||Nov 2020|
|Start Date||21 Sep||23 Nov|
|Payment Date||07 Sep||05 Nov|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a short course?
A short course is a short learning programme that focuses on equipping you with a specific skillset. However, it is non-credit bearing, which means it does not carry credits towards a registered qualification in terms of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
Why should I study an online short course?
An online short course offers convenience and flexibility. You can study when you want to and you can study wherever or whenever you have your phone with you. Doing an online short course will also help you to improve your digital literacy skills which you will need in the workplace.
What is the difference between this course and the short course titled: “Good Governance, Sustainability and Resilience in Africa” (GGS)?
The Local Government Leadership and Management (LGM) course focuses on local government structures and processes. It encompassed policy and operational management of municipalities to enable its service delivery obligations. GGS is a focused course that deals with policy and governance issues that affect our sustainable development in South Africa and the African continent. It explores how good governance and policies can improve the livelihoods of future generations.
I want to study Local Government Leadership and Management, but I do not want to study online. What can I do?
Unfortunately, this course is only available online. It is really easy to study online and before you choose not to, discuss the benefits with one of our student consultants.
If you don’t want to study online, you may want to try our Public Administrations short course or any other internet-supported short learning programmes. Note that iQ Academy short learning programmes are internet supported which means that you will still receive textbooks but also have exclusive access to online support, content and value-adding learning materials and activities. They are available on iCan, our student learning platform.
I’m new to online learning, where do I start?
New prospective students can register for free on our “Letsdolife” portal where you can do some of our micro-courses for free. This will show you that studying online is fun and easy, click here .
Already registered iQA students can log on to the iCan student portal and find the orientation module in your course. The module gives you all the information you need to help you navigate and become familiar with the workings of your online course.
Do I need to be online all the time to study?
No, you do not need to be online all the time. Each module has an eBook containing all the course material. You can download the eBook to your device and work through the material while you’re offline.
How do I get academic support?
A dedicated, expert tutor is available online to provide support and assistance. They can answer your questions via iCan messages or the discussion forums. Your tutor can also be contacted by email or telephone.
How do I submit assignments?
For this course, you will complete your assignments online. Find instructions on your online learning orientation module, which is on the iCan student portal. You will be able to do your assignment online and get your results instantly.
What will I get after completing my course?
Once you complete your course, you will get an iQ Academy approved Certificate of Competence. It is quality controlled and governed by our quality management and assurance policies and approved by our academic board which oversees the learning at our institution. To qualify for this certification, you must:
- Pass all your assignments
- Pay up your student account
- Email a certified copy of your ID document to email@example.com or fax to 086 758 4800